Nutrients in Bananas
An unripe banana contains more starch than sugar, but as it ripens its starches turn to sugar. A ripe banana consists mainly of sugars – glucose, fructose and sucrose, and fiber, making bananas an ideal source of energy. Bananas are an excellent source of potassium and vitamin B6. They are a good source of vitamin C, riboflavin, magnesium, biotin and carbohydrates. A study has concluded that bananas are a potential food source for alleviating vitamin A deficiency.
Approximate Nutritive Values: Per 100 gm.
Iron: 6 mg.
Calcium: 8 mg.
Protein: 1.2 mg.
Vitamin C: 10 mg.
Vitamin A: 430I.U.
Potassium: 260 mg.
Phosphorus: 28 mg.
Carbohydrates: 23 gm
Vitamin B: Thiamine .04 mg
Banana fruit is eaten when ripe directly or as vegetables, fruit salad, juice, shakes, etc. Unripe bananas can cause severe indigestion and hence should be eaten only in cooked form.
Banana’s Health Benefits
Banana is an effective fruit for health benefits. The mixture of carbohydrates and vitamins present in banana helps an energy increase. The natural fiber in banana also gives to the many health benefits. The health benefits of banana include weight loss, obesity, weight gain, intestinal disorders, constipation, dysentery, anemia, tuberculosis, arthritis, gout, kidney disorders, urinary disorders, menstrual problems, and burns.
Here are some important benefits of banana.
- Banana is high in fiber. It is perfect remedy for constipation.
- Banana contains amino acid i.e. tryptophan which converted by the body into serotonin that relaxes a person.
- Bananas contain protease inhibitors that help eliminate bacteria in the stomach and reduce acidity. Thus problem of ulcer reduces.
- Banana rich in iron, which improve the body’s hemoglobin function. Thus banana is ideal fruit for people who are suffering from Anemia.
- Banana is a natural source of potassium. Potassium is important for the human body as it helps in body’s fluid level, body cells and controlling in blood pressure.
- Banana high in Vitamins, as Vitamin A is important for development of tissue in eyes and growth of the skin. Vitamin B is also present which help in calming the nervous system.
- Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking, as it contains Vitamin C, A1, B6, B12 and potassium, which help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.
How does Banana helps to Gain Weight?
Banana For Weight Gain: It is useful for weight gain. Banana when consumed with milk helps in increasing the weight rapidly. Milk provides the necessary proteins and banana provides the sugars. Further, since banana is easily digested, a weak person can gulp 5-6 bananas in a day apart from the regular meals. This leads to an additional 500-600 calories which is quite necessary for weight gain. Since bananas have the ability to provide instant energy, sportsmen eat bananas during breaks of games.
Note: Banana is also useful for weight loss as one banana having a weight of 100g contains roughly 90 calories. It contains lot of fiber and is easily digested. Further it does not contain any fats. So an overweight person does not eat too many calories if the diet contains some bananas. The roughage will also not make the person feel hungry.
Bananas offer a great value of proteins, vitamins and minerals, which boots your metabolism. They contain a sugar content which works well for quick energy, however the sugar is natural and I wouldn’t think to be bad. They’re actually known to help cure stomach pain caused from stomach acids because they neutralize the acid content and they’re known to be digested easily. The formula for weight gain is taking in more calories than you expend on a daily basis, bananas will generally make you feel full before you eat too many to gain weight on a consistent basis. As with any food, however, it is theoretically possible for you to eat so many bananas that you gain weight.
Hope that this Post would be helpful for you in your Weight Gain Plan.
Please leave your comments on comments box and you can follow my blog.